A week of traveling, from 80 degrees to -10, long hours on planes, longer hours in airports, 12 hours working outside in 20 degree weather, even more travel and back to the apartment to find a bit of chaos.. My cup of human kindness is not running over. Time to do a little bit of cooking an regain my balance. An old yiddish proverb says, ” Troubles go down easier with soup.” So soup it shall be. Cheese soup, based not on chicken stock, but a hearty stout beer. One of the all time favorites from the Bad Wolf Lair.
From Wikipedia:Cheese soup is a type of soup prepared using cheese as a primary ingredient, along with milk, broth and/or stock to form its basis. Various additional ingredients are used in its preparation, and various types and styles of cheese soup exist. It is a part of some cuisines in the world, such as American, Colombian, Mexican, Swiss and Tibetan cuisines.
Cheese soup is a part of various cuisines, such as American cuisine, Colombian cuisine, French cuisine, Mexican cuisine, Swiss cuisine and Tibetan cuisine. Mote de queso is a traditional cheese soup dish in the Córdoba Department of Colombia.[ In Spanish, “cheese soup” translates to “sopa de queso”, and a published Mexican recipe from 1893 exists for the dish under this name.[ In Switzerland, cheese soup is referred to as Kassuppe, and it is a specialty dish in Central Switzerland.Churu is a Tibetan cheese soup prepared with churu cheese of Tibet.
Cheese is a main ingredient in cheese soup, and is typically used in the dish in grated form or in chunks or pieces. Cheeses used include hard cheeses like Cheddar, Gruyère and Parmesan cheese[ and soft ones such as farmer cheese, Gouda cheese, muenster cheese, queso blanco and queso Chihuahua. The cheese adds both flavor and nutritional value to the soup. Processed cheese (including Velveeta), such as pasteurized process cheese and pasteurized process cheese food is sometimes used instead of natural cheese. Some cheese soups have a rich flavor and may be high in fat due to the use of high-fat ingredients such as butter and heavy cream, in addition to the fat in the cheese. Fat content of the soup can be reduced by the use of ingredients such as low- or non-fat cheese, fat-free milk and fat-free stock.[
Milk and/or broth such as chicken broth or stock are used[ to form the liquid basis for cheese soup. Additional ingredients can include half and half, beer, bread crumbs, butter, eggs, onion, onion juice, garlic, vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrot and celery, spices and seasonings. Ingredients that can enhance the flavor of cheese soup include chopped bacon, beer and chopped broccoli, among various others. Croutons are sometimes used as topping.[
Beer Cheese Soup
- 4 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 1 Large Sweet Onion Peeled, Diced
- 2 Cloves garlic Peeled, Minced
- 32 grams AP Flour ~ 1/4 cup
- 250 ml Milk Full Fat ~ 1 cup
- 250 ml Half and Half ~ 1cup
- 16 fl. oz. Beer I use a stout
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 6 oz Sharp Cheddar Grated
- 4 oz Smoked Gouda Grated
- Salt / Pepper To Taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, and garlic; saute 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes until the flour turns golden brown
- Combine the milk and half-and-half. Slowly pour into flour mixture, whisking constantly until combined.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the beer and mustard. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently until foam subsides.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes until thick. Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese a handful at a time. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Comments are closed for this post.