So spring is not so here, high winds, rain, in general ah, blah. I want hearty comfort food. As I am in-city, this will need to be meatless, but that does not mean tasteless.
Shepherd’s pie (lamb) or cottage pie (ground/minced beef) is a meat or veggie pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato.
The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are minced red meat (“cottage pie” refers to beef filling and “shepherd’s pie” refers to lamb), cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions and sometimes other vegetables, such as peas, celery or carrots, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked. The pie is sometimes also topped with grated cheese to create a layer of melted cheese on top.
In this case I’ll forgo the meat and use fresh mushrooms and mushroom broth as well. We’ll top with our stiff mashed potatoes, a bit of cheese and set it for a bake in a medium oven. Basically a thick vegetable stew, covered in almost loaded mashed potatoes and baked until browned and bubbly.
Shepherd's Pie Vegetarian
- 2 cups Mixed Mushrooms Cleaned, sliced
- 1 ea Large Sweet Onion Peeled, Diced
- 2 cups Carrots Peeled, chopped
- 2 cup Mushroom or Vegetable broth
- 1 sprig Fresh Rosemary picked, minced
- 1 sprig Fresh Thyme picked
- 1 ea bay leaf
- 2 tbsp AP Flour
- 2 cup Frozen Peas
- 2 cup Frozen Green Beans
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic peeled, minced
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 tbsp Butter Real stuff
- 2 lb Stiff Mashed Potatos 1/2 batch
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese Grated
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare 1/2 Batch of Stiff Mashed Potatoes https://www.roguechef.com/?recipe=stiff-mashed-potatoes-reboot. Or make a whole batch and freeze
- Melt the butter in the 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they start to take color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add onions and cook until they are translucent, 5-6 minutes, add garlic and cook until fragrant, ~ 2 minutes
- Deglaze with broth
- Reduce the heat to medium and add broth, carrots, carrots, rosemary, thyme and continue to cook until tender, and broth reduces, another 10 minutes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste and stir, cooking until it is well combined, another 2 to 3 minutes
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the heavy cream and peas, cook to thicken. 2-3 minutes
- Transfer the veggie stew into a 3 qt casserole, and top with potatoes. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Place casserole on foil lined sheet pan
- Transfer to the oven and. Bake the pie until the potatoes have begun to brown and the edges are bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Comments are closed for this post.