So some of the last warm days of Autumn are over and we are moving into cooler / colder days, preluding to the colder darker days of winter to come.
To misquote an old jewish proverb, “Cold days go better with soup.” I’ll take a basic chicken soup with a roguechef twist, adding warming spices from asia, and spice with a bit of chilies for a soothing and healing flavor.
To lengthen the soup, I’ll add a mix of vegetables as well as the bulk of noodles for a satisfying meal..
(Though I begin to wonder if senility is setting in as I am sure I’ve done this type of dish prior.)
Spicy Asian Chicken Soup
- 2 tbsp Curry Paste Thai Red
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 ea Small Onion Peeled, Sliced Fine
- 4 oz Mixed Mushrooms Cleaned, Sliced
- 1 ea Bell Pepper Cleaned, Sliced Fine
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce Low Sodium, To taste
- 1 tbsp Sambal oelek To Taste
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar To Taste
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar Or pickling brine from thai peppers (optional)
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 — Protein (Cooked Chicken, Cooked Pork, Tofu, etc)
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil To Taste
- 1 package Rice Noodles
- Prepare Noodles as per package
- Drain well
- In heavy saucepan over medium heat, add oil and heat to a shimmer, add onions, peppers, and mushrooms cook until they start to color
- Add curry paste and cook until it start to separate oil, 3-5 minutes
- Add garlic and ginger, Sambal, cook until fragrant
- Add stock and bring to a simmer
- Add protein and coconut milk, simmer to heat through
- Taste and balance flavors with vinegar, sugar, soy / fish sauce(s), seasonings.
- In a bowl, add noodles, pour soup over
- Parse protein into each bowl.
- Add herbage / garnish
Comments are closed for this post.