In one of my not to recent excursions to the local not so megamart, I purchased some egg roll wrappers with the intention of doing something with them. Remember the road to the fry station is lined with good intentions.
Needless to say my Executive-Chef has commanded I use them…. TONIGHT.
Not having the required ingredients to ACTUALLY MAKE egg rolls, I had to improvise. One of my favorite snacks, long ago, when I had hair, were pizza rolls. Now, IF I took a egg roll wrapper, gave it a spritz of cooking spray, added some pepperoni slices, a mozzarella stick, a light touch of sauce, gave it wrap, and deep fried we’d have an adult version of this.
The deep fry was nixed by the executive chef, and I’m not that keen on baked egg rolls, but an air fryer gives me an option or two.
Whilst in production, the Chef, joined me and suggested looking at a few other items in the fridge in the “Use it or Lose it” category. I have some pancetta to replace the pepperoni, some ham and swiss slices that can be rolled and wrapped, even some precooked shrimp, and some jalapeno cream cheese. This all sounds like the fixings for a variety of rolls.
If one happened to have some Aloo one might roll that and create a passable Samosa.
Egg rolls are a variety of deep-fried appetizers served in American Chinese restaurants. An egg roll is a cylindrical, savory roll with shredded cabbage, chopped pork, and other fillings inside a thickly-wrapped wheat flour skin, which is fried in hot oil.
Pizza rolls are a frozen food product consisting of bite-sized breaded pizza pockets with an interior of diced pepperoni, tomato sauce, and melted cheese. They were created in the United States by food industry entrepreneur Jeno Paulucci, who specialized in frozen Chinese food.
Air Fryer Rolls
- Air Fryer
- Pasty Brush
- 8 Ea Egg Roll Wrappers
- 24 slices Pepperoni
- 8 ea String Cheese Sticks
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce For Dipping
- 1 ea Egg Large., Fresh
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Neutral Oil
- Beat Egg and water together to form an egg wash for sealing
- Pre heat air fryer to 375
- Place a wrapper on the work surface
- Give it a light brush with the oil
- Place 3 slices of pepperoni on the center
- Place a string cheese stick on top of the peperoni
- Brush edges with egg wash
- Wrap, folding in the ends. Bottom to center, fold in the edges, wand wrap with a firm grip.
- Give the outsides a very light brush with oil, or use an oil mister
- Place in teh fryer basket, and fry for 5 minutes
- Flip and fry an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with Marinara sauce fo rdipping.
- Salami and cheese
- Bits of pulled pork and a hint of sauce
- Pancetta and swiss
- pan-fried mushrooms and onions
- Precooked shrimp, cream cheese, and jalapenos
- Any mix of cooked food
- Your fridge is the limit
Be the first to write a comment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.