As we continue our slide into autumn and later winter, I seek tasty, hearty, and filling food to soothe my soul.
I use flour tortillas as a noodle, and to assist in the thickening of the soup, peppers in multiple forms provide gentle smokey heat, and the richness of the stock offered by the bone-in, skin-on thighs add a hearty silky mouth-feel.
I’ll serve with tortilla chips or strips to add a textural balance, lime to add a bit of acid, and avocado as a creamy counterpoint.
A constant hit around the lair, especially when snow was piled high and the wind was roaring.
Tortilla soup (Spanish: sopa de tortilla) is a traditional Mexican soup made of fried corn tortilla pieces, submerged into a broth of tomato, garlic, onion, and chile de árbol and epazote. It is served with pieces of pasilla chiles, chicharrón, avocado, fresh cheese cubes and sour cream. Although the exact origin of tortilla soup is unknown, it is known that it comes from the Mexico City area in Mexico. Traditional tortilla soup is made with chicken broth combined with roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, chiles and tortillas, cut into strips and fried. There are some variations, for example the broth being made with a thickened tomato base and ground tortillas or a bean soup enriched with crunchy strips of fried tortillas.
Quick Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 ea Sweet Onion Peeled, Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic Peeled, crushed
- 1 Large Carrot Peeled, Diced
- 2 Ribs Celery Washed, Diced
- 1 can Tomatoes and Peppers R*tel
- 4 oz Hatch Chillies Small can
- 4 ea bone-in, skin-on
- 8 oz Dried Black Beans ~1 cup, sorted, washed, drained
- 2 cups Chicken Stock Low Sodium
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Cumin Toasted, ground
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Oregano Dried
- 2 ea Chipotle Peppers
- 1 tsp Adobo Sauce From the Chipotles
- 6 ea Flour Tortilla 8" cut to strips
- 1 ea Lime
- Using the saute function, Saute onions in the oil for 3-4 minutes while you prep the garlic, carrots, and celery. Add them to the pot, and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomato/peppers with the juices, chicken thighs, black beans, stock, water, salt, and spices.
- Stir well, lid up and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes
- Do a natural release
- Remove the chicken thighs to a cutting board, remove the skin, and shred
- Return the chicken to the pot, add the tortilla strips, select Stew, and simmer the soup to thicken
- Taste, season, add lime, and balance flavor
Be the first to write a comment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.