So, the first Nor’Easter of the year is still happening. I want curry, but I am not about to venture out, it’s cold, it’s wet, it’s windy, all the things not conducive to wandering about.
Searching the pantry, I have some dried lima beans, a can of tomato and chili peppers, and some vegetable stock. In my spice cabinet, I have some garam masala I made, that I am being pushed to use, along with some curry powder that also needs to be included in a dish. One supposes it is curry time. As this is not a “classic” Indian curry, we’ll just chalk any of the differences down to my tendency to take good ideas from many cultures, abuse them, and claim them. Yeah, another culinary mugging in progress.
If you aren’t following a vegetarian diet, feel free to add smoked ham hocks to the pot, or add some extra flavor with some sliced smoked sausage or diced bacon.
Double Bean Curry
- Insta Pot
- 1 cup Lima Beans Washed, Sorted, ~ 1/2 bag
- 1 ea Onion Peeled, chopped fine
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger Grated or paste
- 1 tsp Chili Pepper powder "Kasmari"
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 3 tbsp Neutral oil
- 1 cup Tomatoes Chopped, or ~1 can
- 1 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock Low Sodium
- Wash and sort the beans
- Place in a large bowl (these will swell considerably), cover with water, soak for 1 hour.
- Set the instapot to saute, add the oil and bring to a spider
- Add the onions and saute until the onion turn soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger, saute until fragrant.
- Add the spices and saute until fragrant
- Add tomatoes and saute until they start to wilt, ~3-5 minutes
- Add the beans, cover with vegetable stock (~1 1/2) cup
- Set for high pressure, lid up, and cook for 20 minutes
- Release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Select saute to reduce the gravy to a thick texture.
- Taste, Season, Balance flavor
- Serve with a drizzle of good olive oil and a side of rice.
Be the first to write a comment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.