Umm, not my favorite holiday, but any holiday is better than any day. As such, I’ll celebrate with a favorite dish. Thai money bags, Golden Purses, or thung thong, savory packets of shrimp and pork filling wrapped in a crisp wrapper and deep-fried, and served with a sweet and spicy chili sauce or a sweet and pungent plum sauce.
Toong Thong (Shrimp Purse)
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 Food Processor or mini processor/stick blender
- 1 lb Shrimp Shelled, deveined
- 1/2 lb Pork FINELY minced
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce Good Stuff
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced, fine
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Black, fine grind
- 1 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 ea shallots Peeled, minced
- 1 ea Egg wash 1 egg white with 1 tbsp water; beaten
- 1 pkg Wonton wrappers
- 4 oz Mushrooms Cleaned, Large Dice
- Add all but the wrappers, and egg wash, into a food processor; pulse into a smooth paste.
- Cut one wrapper into 12 thin strips, almost string like
- In the center of a wrapper add ~ 1 tbsp of paste
- Fold the wrapper up like a purse, seal with the egg wash, and tie with a wrapper string; set aside on a plate
- Repeat with remaining wrappers/filling.
- Fill the fryer basket with purses, mist with cooking oil
- Set the fryer to 375 and cook the purses for 8 minutes on one side; flip and cook for an additional 8 minutes.
- We are looking for crispy skin and an internal temp of 165.
- Serve with plum sauce or sweet chili oil
Be the first to write a comment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.