Several items to note with this missive:
- Saint Patricks day is coming
- I loath corned beef
- The Ukraine is being invaded
- Most of Eastern Europe is being threatened
- Putin is a dick.
- Housewives, and Grandmothers are cooking up special cocktails to welcome the Russians.
So, a little about this dish; It was a favorite late-night dinner in the Lower East Village, (Little Ukraine) when the lair was located in SoHo. The key to this dish is a good quality smoked sausage/kielbasa, hearty potatoes, and a sturdy head of cabbage.
I usually serve with hearty dark bread, butter, and side this with good beer.
There are so many possible variations to play off, red potatoes, russet, vs yellow, green cabbage vs red, vs sauerkraut, and the list of sausages (when you have a GOOD butcher) is almost endless.
As a bonus, any leftover can be used to produce a “bubble and squeak” dish for breakfast the following morning, just add eggs alongside the hash.
A note on the image,
Lviv-based Pravda brewery switches from making beer to making Molotov cocktails. The label says ‘Putin is a dickhead’.
Sausage, Cabbage and Potatoes
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 2 tbsp Butter Good stuff
- 4 ea Potatoes Red / Russet, Scrubbed / Quartered
- 1 Ea Onion Large, peeled, sliced
- 1 head Cabbage Washed, Cored, Quartered
- 1 ea Smoked Sausage Good Stuff / Kielbasa
- 1/2 Cup water or chicken stock
- Salt / Pepper To taste
- 4 cloves Garlic Peeled, smashed
- Foam out the butter in the dutch oven over medium-high heat
- Add the onions and saute until tender
- Add the sausage and brown on both sides
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant
- Add 1/2 cup of water/ stock to the pot, add potatoes
- Cover with cabbage quarters
- Cover and steam until tender, ~ 30 minutes
- Check every 10 minutes for liquid level, adding as necessary
- Season, balance flavors and serve
Be the first to write a comment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.