Once again I find myself cooking for one as the SheWolf has been called to service as GrandmaWolf. So off to the kitchen to feed my starving wolf.
Whilst this dish is named “Mongolian” style, I cannot expressly point to one thing that is Mongolian in this dish. One might guess the use of meat, and a spicy sauce would qualify. We’ll just chalk it up to cultural misappropriation, or me throwing together a dish and tossing a name at it.
Whilst this dish is similar to dandan Noodles, it does lack the various preserved vegetables of the famous food stall favorite.
Dandan noodles or dandanmian, literally “carrying-pole noodles”, is a noodle dish originating from Chinese Sichuan cuisine. It consists of a spicy sauce usually containing preserved vegetables (often including zha cai, lower enlarged mustard stems, or ya cai, upper mustard stems), chili oil, Sichuan pepper, minced pork, and scallions served over noodles. The dish can either be served dry or as a noodle soup.
Mongolian Style Noodles
- 1 Wok or sauce pan
- 8 oz Minced beef See Notes
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce Low Sodium
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Grated Ginger
- 2 tsp Black pepper Adjust to taste
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp Onion Peeled, Minced Fine
- 1 each Jalapeno Pepper Washed, seeded, minced fine
- 2 ea Green Onion Washed, sliced
- 4 oz Pasta See note
- 2 tbsp Chili Oil Optional
- 1 tbsp Mirin Or rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil Neutral oil
- In the wok or saucepan, heat the oil and minced meat over medium heat
- Break the meat apart. Cook until slightly browned.
- Add in the grated ginger, minced garlic, minced pepper, and soy sauce, and stir fry for 10-15 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of water and pepper. Put a lid on and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the meat is simmering, in a separate pot, cook your noodles.
- Add the corn starch to 1/2 cup of water or stock, add to the meat, and stir until thickened
- Add the cooked noodles and toss to mix/coat well.
- Serve topped with green onions and drizzled with chili oil and a touch of mirin.
Be the first to write a comment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.