And the Great Flu Epidemic of 2020 takes hold. Time to start fighting back before I fall prey to it. I think a soup that will nourish my soul and strengthen my immune system is in order.
For that I’ll look at an old asian standby that never seems to disappoint. But just to make sure I’ll cover a few other bases by using a strong chicken stock, (DO MAKE YOUR OWN and control the salt) and add a few chili’s as well.
One can take this vegetarian by the use of vegetable stock, and go total vegan by using a neutral oil in place of the butter.
This is basically a ginger-garlic and pepper masala, that is lengthened, with the use of a liquid, all the basic ingredients, (Garlic, Ginger and Capsicums) are touted as having health benefits by the ayurvedic community. (That I am not sure about, but I am sure this tastes good, clears my head, and feeds my soul)
Garlic and Ginger Soup
- 3 inch ginger root peeled, grated
- 3 cloves garlic peeled, smashed
- 6 ea Scallions Washed, sliced
- 2 ea Thai Chili peppers Washed, Seeded, Diced
- 8 cups Broth Chicken or Vegetable
- 2 tbsp Butter Or oil
Optional Add Ins
- 1/2 cup Butternut Squash Peeled and Cubed, Roasted or Microwave
- 1/2 cup Carrots Peeled and Diced, Roasted or Microwave
- 1 Rib Celery Washed and Diced
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms Washed and Diced, browned in skillet
- Place butter / fat in a large pot over medium low heat; whence the fat shimmers or foams out
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, and optionals, saute for 2 minutes
- Add the broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a bare simmer; simmer until all the veggies are softened
- Add the chopped chili pepper and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes
- Serve with Crusty bread and a wedge of cheese.
Comments are closed for this post.