Once again into the wilds of New Jersey, seeking food. The local megamart actually had chicken today. Limit one package per customer, and all that was available was skinless, boneless, thighs. So be it, with my local wing spot closed for cleansing, I’ll make do.
As an aside, IF you have a local takeaway, that is serving, patronise them, and tip well. My local is going to reopen, for takeaway only, and the owner is doing this so the employees have some income. Do your part.
I’ll say make extra, if you are using boneless / skinless, the leftovers can be chopped up to make a chicken curry, a chicken salad, reheated, or just eaten cold.
Southern fried chicken, also known simply as fried chicken, is a dish consisting of chicken pieces which have been coated in a seasoned batter and pan-fried, deep fried, or pressure fried. The breading adds a crisp coating or crust to the exterior of the chicken while retaining juices in the meat. Broiler chickens are most commonly used.
The first dish known to have been deep fried was fritters, which were popular in the European Middle Ages. However, it was the Scottish who were the first Europeans to deep fry their chicken in fat (though without seasoning). Meanwhile, a number of West African peoples had traditions of seasoned fried chicken (though battering and cooking the chicken in palm oil). Scottish frying techniques and West African seasoning techniques were combined in the American South.
Oven Fried Chicken
- 1/4 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs Crushed Fine
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano Dried
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper Fresh Ground
- 1/8 tsp Thyme Dried
- 1 tsp Cajun Seasoning optional
- 4 ea Chicken Thighs Skinless, boneless
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Hot Sauce
- Mix all of the coating in a large zip lock bag
- Add all of the chicken ingredients in a large zip lock bag
- Mix well to coat chicken, and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 400
- Retrieve chicken from fridge, and drain
- Place chicken into coating bag and shake to coat
- When well coated, place chicken on a greased sheet pan
- Let the chicken set for 15 minutes so the coating will adhere to the meat
- Place into oven and cook 35-40 minutes, until chicken reads 185F
- Cool and Serve
Comments are closed for this post.