And we are back to business, the easy days of the holidays are behind us and things must be done.
And of the things that must be done, is food. Hot, Tasty, FAST food. But a dash out to the local Mex-Tex joint is not in the cards, besides most days better food comes out of the kitchen than a take out bag.
Trolling the pantry, I find some refried beans, so maybe a dig for chips?
In the fridge is a rib-eye that needs to be cooked, along with the usual onion, pepper, cheese, and down in the bottom, a package of egg roll wrappers..
I’ll slice and dice the steak rather than dig out the grinder, and toss together a quick taco seasoning, (see the recipe notes), to build a taco meat filling, and then stretch it with the refried beans and some other veggies.
Add a bit of cheese, wrap the egg rolls, or roll the wraps, and air fry for that healthy crisp taste …
AN IDEA IS BORN
Egg rolls are a variety of deep-fried appetizers served in American Chinese restaurants. An egg roll is a cylindrical, savory roll with shredded cabbage, chopped pork, and other fillings inside a thickly-wrapped wheat flour skin, which is fried in hot oil. The dish is served warm, and is usually eaten with the fingers, dipped in duck sauce, soy sauce, plum sauce, or hot mustard, often from a cellophane packet.
Ok, to hell with the cellophane packet crap, I tossed all the sauce packets whence we moved to the new kitchen. So maybe my queso dip, along with a salsa.
It won’t be a quick as I like, but I’ll get more done after a good meal.
Texas Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer
- 1 pkg Egg Roll Wrappers ~20
- 1 pkg Taco Seasoning
- 1 can Refried Pinto Beans
- 1/2 Lb Ground Beef Grind your own
- 1/2 Cup Pepper Jack Cheese Grated
- 1/2 ea Medium Onion Peeled / Diced
- 1 ea Bell Pepper Washed, cored, diced
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- In a medium skillet over medium high, bring oil to a shimmer
- Add diced onion, and pepper, saute until the onions soften and turn translucent
- Add ground beef and saute until browned
- Add Taco seasoning and 1 cup water
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the sauce reduces
- Add the refried beans and stir to break up and heat through
- Remove from heat and cool
- Once meat and bean filling is cool begin assembly
- Take one egg roll wrapper and add 1 tbsp of filling, along with a helping of grated cheese
- Wrap and seal. Set aside, seam side down and continue to wrap remaining filling / cheese
- Lightly glaze egg rolls with a brushing of canola oil
- Preheat air fryer to 375, lube basket
- Air Fry in batches 12-15 minutes.
- Serve hot with a queso dip or Salsa
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
You must be logged in to post a comment.